Posted on

How do I get a pass port in the US?

Example of US passport cover

How do I get a pass port in the US?

You must apply in person using Form DS-11 or if you qualify use Form DS-82 via US Mail.

Passport fees range from $80 – $140 + plus any special fees such as expediting your passport. You can find the latest fee information here.

Note: There is a list of agency locations below.

If you are under sixteen you must apply in person. Or if any of the options below pertain to you, you must apply in person. If you apply in person and meet the qualifications below, you will use form Form DS-11.

  • You are applying for your first U.S. passport
  • Your previous U.S. passport was issued when you were under age 16
  • Your previous U.S. passport was lost, stolen, or damaged
  • Your previous U.S. passport was issued more than 15 years ago

However, if none of the above statements apply to you, you may be eligible to Renew by Mail with the downloadable Form DS-82.

Please note: If you live in another country (including Canada) and you’re submitting Form DS-11, you must apply in person at a U.S. embassy or consulate.  See Applying for a U.S. Passport from Outside the United States.

When Do You Need Your Passport?

Where you apply depends on when you need your new U.S. passport.

Please Note: The instructions below are for those applying inside the United States. For information on how to apply for a U.S. passport outside the United States, please visit Apply Outside the United States.

  • If you need your passport now due to life or death emergency, use the Expedited service. See the “Life-or-Death Emergencies” page.
  • Urgent international travel plans. Use Expedited service, make an appointment at a passport agency or center (must bring proof of travel)
  • Need your passport within 4-6 weeks, you can Expedite for any reason
  • If you need your pass more than 6 weeks later, you can use rutine service.

The agency requests if you qualify to mail in your application (renewal, correction, etc.), please mail it in. Do not go to a passport acceptance facility.

How Long Do Pass Ports take?

Below is a table showing average times from the beginning of the process to receipt of your passport. These estimates may change at anytime.

Routine4-6 Weeks
Expedited2-3 Weeks
Expedited at Agency8 Business Days

What Is A Passport?

A passport a travel document which identifies you and authorizes you to travel out of your county. If you are a United States citizen, your passport is a small navy blue booklet. A passport contains your photograph, name, date of birth etc. in the United States, and passport number for reference. There are additional pages for each country to stamp for entry.

If you want to travel abroad, you’ll need to apply for a passport. When you enter a new county, you will hand it to an immigration officer.

What is the Difference Between a Passport and a Visa?

The difference between a visa and a passport is that a visa is an endorsement placed within a passport which grants the holder official permission to enter, leave or stay in a country for a specified period of time. 

What Is A Passport Card?

When you apply for your passport, it traditionally comes in book form. However, you have the option to order a passport card too. A passport card is proof of your citizenship and Identity. The difference between a passport book and card is that the card has some travel limitations. You are not required to have both. You can use it to enter the United States at land border crossings and sea ports-of-entry from:

  • Canada
  • Mexico
  • The Caribbean
  • Bermuda

Unfortunately, the passport card cannot be used for international air travel.

Do I Need a Passport for Domestic Flights?

No. generally you do not need a passport for domestic flights within the United States. A drivers license or State id will generally do the trick.

Do Children Require Passports?

Yes, children and babies require passports when traveling internationally.

Where Are U.S Passport Agencies?

You can make an appointment online here

You may apply for your passport a the US. post office. You can find a location here.

You may also call using the following phone numbers. National Passport Information Center 24/7 at 1-877-487-2778 (1-888-874-7793 TDD/TTY).

List Of Passport Agencies


This is not an official United States Government webpage. This page is for informational and educational purposes only. Please contact for corrections. We do our best to keep our information up-to-date with no guarantees. For official information about U.S. passports contact

Sources:, support sites and online reviews.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.